Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Harvest is Coming!!

Today is Lugnasadh Eve, the festival of First Harvest! I have already been harvesting, many radishes, carrots, and lettuces, but my tomatoes are still on the vine. A quick shop update - this month is my second anniversary selling to folks online, and the official start of my business. So, in honor of the occasion, as well as harvest & my birthday (I am super duper old), everything in my shop is marked down 25% until 8/21. I'm also making new soaps daily, and rebatching things that have sold out. Also, the new whipped soaps will be ready in September. I've tweaked my formula yet again, I just love the lather that my shaving soaps make, so I've changed the whipped soap so it produces a more foamy lather, good for bathing or shaving.

Since it's First Harvest, I wanted to share a recipe as well! We've been enjoying some wonderful veggies from the garden and the market, and I've made up some new ways to make them quickly. Here's our favorite so far, which is pretty quick, hearty, and vegetarian!




Easy Lentil Stew (goes great with fresh crusty bread or biscuits)

1 lb. dried brown lentils, cooked and drained (reserve 1/2 for tacos later)
5 carrots, sliced
1 medium onion, medium dice
1 green bell pepper, diced
5 stalks celery, sliced
1 clove garlic, minced (or more, as desired)
6 fresh diced tomatoes, or two cans diced tomatoes, or one quart home canned tomatoes
1 quart water
1 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. ground turmeric
2 Knorr vegetable bouillon cubes
1 Knorr garlic bouillon cube
1 Knorr cilantro bouillon cube
and/or 3 Tbs. fresh minced cilantro
2 Tbs oil of choice (butter, olive oil, or coconut oil work great)
Any vegetables you desire can be added with the tomatoes - if you have kale, chard, chard stems, turnips, daikon, potatoes, or any other fab farmer's market find, just chop it and throw it in :)

In a medium stock pot, heat oil until it is melted and hot. Add ground cumin, stir to incorporate, until it smells awesome. Add carrots, bell pepper, and celery. Stir and fry on medium high heat until onions are translucent. Add garlic, stir & fry one more minute. Add 1/2 the cooked lentils, tomatoes, water, bouillon cubes, and turmeric. Bring to a boil, then turn down to low, cover, and simmer for 1-3 hours, stirring occasionally. Add fresh cilantro if desired just before serving, serves 6.

No comments:

Post a Comment