Friday, June 20, 2014

Lazy Summer

It's Summer, and for me it's a time when the business slows down a bit and I can do other things. However, I'm really pretty lazy at heart, so I'm doing lazy things. Knitting and gardening mostly, with a bit of baking too. And I'm finally posting again on my blog too - it keeps me on my chair under the AC.

I have a new pattern I thought about selling in my shop, but free patterns are fun too, so here's my cotton hat:

Made with a single ball of I Love This Cotton from Hobby Lobby, this hat is airy and suitable for Summer. If you're like me and too lazy to do your hair, a winner for sure.

You'll need:
120 yards of worsted weight yarn
Size 8 or 9 US sixteen inch circular needle
One set of DPN's in same size as circular
scissors, yarn needle, and stitch marker

TO begin, cast on 72 stitches loosely, a long tail cast on is best for stretchy-ness. Place your marker at the beginning of the row so you'll know where it ends and begins.

Knit 6-8 rows in k2, p2 rib.

For the body of the hat:

Row 1: knit around
Row 2: *yo, k4*
Row 3:*yo, drop yo from previous row from needle (do not work), s1 knit wise, k3, pass slipped stitch over the three knit stitches*
Row 4: knit around

Repeat pattern rows 5-6 times (I did 5 for the hat in the picture)

Repeat row 1-3 of pattern once more

Decrease rows
Row 1: *k6, k2tog*(63)
Row 2: *k5, k2tog*(54)
Row 3: *yo, k4, k2tog*(54)
Row 4: *yo, drop yo from previous row from needle (do not work), s1 knit wise, k2, k2tog, pass slipped stitch over the two knit and one ktog*(36)
Row 5: *k2, k2tog* (27)
Row 6: *k1, k2tog* (18)
Row 7: *k2tog* (9)

Cut yarn with a 12 inch tail, thread it onto your yarn needle, and pass through those last nine stitches. Pull it tight, and then fasten off and weave in the ends - ta da! A hat! A size 8 needle will make a hat to fit most adult women - if you need a bit more room, go up to a nine, or if you're knitting for a teen or kiddo, you can go down to a six. Just make sure that the ribbing at the brim fits, the body of the hat is stretchy so gauge isn't crucial.

No comments:

Post a Comment